The BX Tower served as the interlocking tower between the two railways and their successors since the early 1900′s until the mid-1980′s.
It was constructed c.1910 as a control point to eliminate rail accidents at the London & Port Stanley Railway and Michigan Central Railroad junction. The Operator-Leverman controlled many large levers connected to track switches. The switches are located throughout the rail yard and the “diamond” area.
The BX Tower is owned and preserved by the City of St. Thomas, while the Elgin County Railway Museum maintains it. This Municipally-Designated Heritage Building is a rare and well-preserved artifact.
Open during Elgin County Railway Museum special events and by appointment. Call the museum to ask when the next event will be or to book a visit.