Central United Church
In March 1874, the Medthodist Episcopal Conference was held in Strathroy. Rev. A.E. Griffith was appointed to go to St. Thomas to build a mission. Rev. A.E. Griffith arrived in St. Thomas in May. There was no building and no congregation. The first service was held in the ladies waiting room of the Canada Southern Railway Station. Five people attended, three men and two women. Services continued at that site for six months.
The site for the church was chosen at the corner of Moore and Wellington Streets. On October 15, 1874, Central United Church was dedicated. When the building was 12 years old, an addition was made.
By 1894, membership had reached 700 and an expansion was needed again. In 1897 a famous team of evangelists, Crossley and Hunter, were stationed in St. Thomas and attending worship at this church. They were the first to give financial backing toward building a new church on the site of Moore and Wellington.
In 1925 'church union' took place, changing the name from Central Methodist to Central United. In 1950 the 'Memorial Hall' was built on the West side of the main building and in 1960 the 'Christian Education' wing was built over the Memorial Hall to accommodate the church offices, Sunday School classrooms, and Upper Parlour.
In 1981 and 1986, new ramps were built for easier access. In 1997, renovations were made to make the church 'barrier free,' and a lift was installed to give access to all parts of the church.
Central United is known for its beautiful stain glass windows; they are featured in many magazines and books.
Open throughout the week 8am-noon.