Princess Ave Playhouse & the Elgin Theatre Guild
For fifty seasons, the Elgin Theatre Guild has been entertaining audiences with productions ranging from comedies to dramas. Run entirely by volunteers, the Elgin Theatre Guild now produces four shows a year that bring thousands of patrons every year through the Princess Avenue Playhouse.
In addition to theatre productions, they host premier Canadian musical acts. In 2013, they presented the Juno Award-winning band Sloan, as well as Jimmy Rankin, among other fantastic acts.
The Princess Avenue Playhouse, home of the Elgin Theatre Guild, is located at 40 Princess Avenue. The former church, built in 1907 by the Church of Disciples, was sold to the Elgin Theatre Guild in 1987-1988, giving the building a new lease on life.
Since that time, the Guild has ensured that many of the original features of this fine building have been retained.
This handsome brick building, designed by architect Neil Darrach, has three outstanding facades (north, east, south) which are framed by two distinctively different towers. Anchored in the centre of each of the three facades at the second floor level in the gable ends are sizable, circular stained glass windows. These windows have been incorporated in several plays, including "Agnes of God". Noticeable in the brick construction of this building is the use of pink mortar.