To many, Talbot St. has long been the heart of St. Thomas. The landscape may change over time, but the mission of the Downtown remains the same; To cultivate a community of all downtown property and business owners and residents, while advocating, beautifying and actively promoting our businesses and authentic heritage in Downtown St Thomas. This street has been host to many businesses and residences throughout its long history. Over time, the economic demands have changed and therefore, so have the businesses located on Talbot Street but our Historic Downtown holds some great stories from the past and is busy forging ahead with new experiences to be had! Below is a look at a few different buildings on Talbot Street and their entrepreneurial histories.
291-295 Talbot Street
Dr. E.W. Gustin built this Victorian home in 1870, and it was later converted to his medical office in 1890. The house was constructed by J.M Green and the building underwent a number of expansions and renovations throughout the years, reflecting the evolution of the building from a residence to a combination of home and surgery. Today the building belongs to the family-owned restaurant Lotus Thai.
440-442 Talbot Street
This address officially opened on March 12, 1912, as The Canadian Bank Of Commerce. In 1961 the Canadian Bank of Commerce merged with the Imperial Bank of Commerce to form the Canadian Imperial Bank of Commerce meaning this spot has had the same tenant for over 100 years.
519 Talbot Street
Getta's Restaurant was located at 519 Talbot Street from 1935-1962 but was badly damaged by a fire on February 4, 1962. Shortly after, Yurek's Pharmacy was established in the location in 1963. Today, Yurek’s Pharmacy is still operated from 519 Talbot Street.
546 Talbot Street
Homer's Lunch Counter and Dining Room was located right across from City Hall at 546 Talbot Street in 1925. Today, Tim Horton's carries on the lunch counter tradition serving up coffee and sandwiches to the downtown core.
614 Talbot Street
Hal Kemp Motor Sales was located at 614 Talbot Street in 1950 while today St.Thomas Transit Terminal Services owns and operates out of the same location.
779 Talbot Street
B.A Sumner’s Confections was located at 779 Talbot Street in 1930 and the store was known for its large collection of antiques and curios, displayed in the store. Today, the Dutch Bakery and The Fritter Shop are here with their large collection of delicious treats!
825 Talbot Street
In 1933 The International Hotel was located at 825 Talbot Street but today the building is host to Asuka Japanese Cuisine.
The St. Thomas Municipal Heritage Committee has some fantastic walking tour guides available including one of Talbot Street. If you found this post interesting - stop in to the Railway City Tourism Office to pick up a walking tour and set out to discover the history on Talbot St.
It is not down in any map; true places never are.